September 15 – October 2, 2022
Grand Rapids will once again be alive and overflowing with art this fall as more than one thousand artists from around the world will display their newly created works all over downtown for visitors to see, absolutely free, in the hopes of earning c
ash prizes. Get ready, as the world’s most-attended public art event returns with $250,000 in prize money up for grabs and over three square miles of art in the city.
Words can hardly prepare you for the experience that began in 2009 with the first ArtPrize. You must see it, feel it, and share it to believe it! This one-of-a-kind experience lasting 18-days every Fall. During this event Grand Rapids, bars, public parks, restaurants, theaters, hotels, bridges, laundromats, auto body shops, vacant storefronts, and office spaces join the museums and galleries in hosting hundreds of artists’ work throughout the city.
This city will be buzzing with activities, see the map here.
- Take home a piece of ArtPrize! All Art Works online platform, will be powering artwork sales for the 2022 event.
- The enhanced digital map will make it even easier to find art and maneuver around downtown Grand Rapids.
- There are stunning outdoor art installations will help mitigate coronavirus concerns.
- As you come into Grand Rapids…I doubt that you’ll miss the two “Large blimps and an Eye” that are two-stories high among the many art pieces on display!
Insider Tips for Saving Time and Energy:
- Search for the Top 20 art pieces so you will see the most “wow” artwork in the shortest period of time. It usually takes around four to five hours to see the art listed in the major venues… but do stop to enjoy smaller pieces along the way that look interesting.
- For less traffic and people visit weekdays during business hours. It’s also easier to get a seat in restaurants during the week too.
- If you’re not up for so much walking, this map shows the “Lime Bike & Scooter” locations. Last year Grand Rapids teamed up with Lime to put 300 new scooters on the streets and added 150 bikes with an electric push to the mix plus the city buses runs along the route also.
What to Bring:
Comfortable shoes, sunscreen, hat, water bottle, make sure your phone is fully charged for camera opportunities plus accessing the art prize map.
Where to Park:
I suggest parking near The B.O.B. located at the corner of Ionia and Fulton. It’s centrally located plus it has two floors of art to see. It has a covered, paved, well lit parking structure that has never caused any concern for our Prairieside Suites B&B guests. I suggest photographing the level you are parked on, along with any visual markers for aisle or row when leaving your parking space as this could be very helpful at the end of the day when you’re tired. Sometimes parking garages have several entrances which can be confusing so, also, note where you came out.
Art Prize Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 5–8 p.m., Friday & Saturday: Noon–8 p.m., Sunday: Noon–6 p.m.
This year we’ll see the return of juried awards and the opportunity to explore the difference between “expert” and “public” opinion, thus giving the artists more ways to win than ever before…$62,500 in Juried Awards from an independent panel of four jurors. A top prize of $10,000 will be awarded in each of the following five categories: 2D, 3D, Installation, Time Based, and Digital. An honorable mention prize of $2,500 will be awarded in each of the same five categories.
$177,500 in Public Awards: Visitors will help to determine the Public Awards by interactions with your entries at the event and on the website.
$10,000 Artist Peer Prize Award: At the end of the Event, ArtPrize will award one artist or team the $10,000 Artist Peer Prize based on which entry received the most votes from all other artists. Artists will have one vote and may not vote for themselves.
Executive director of Art Prize, Craig Searer, estimates that last year’s event featured 877 artist entries in 144 venues and drew more than 500,000 visitors, along with 2,500 students, 171 volunteers to Grand Rapids.
After a long day of art appreciation, wouldn’t you like to drop into an oversized jacuzzi for two? If you’ve traveled from out of town, you will undoubtedly need a place to stay. Our B&B is the perfect place- in Grandville, just minutes off the highway outside of Grand Rapids- close to the action but not in the midst of it! Enjoy
ArtPrize then head back to Prairieside Suites Luxury Bed & Breakfast, where we deliver a complimentary full hot breakfast to your room each morning. Take a peek at our nine “award winning” whirlpool suites, rates, availability and book online on our websites reservation page.
Come, experience my world!